July 2, 2020
Dear Santa Fe ISD Families,
The SFISD “Back to School Re-Start Committee,” along with our school staff, are busy finalizing plans for a great start to the upcoming school year. Please visit the website to view the meeting minutes, survey information, presentations and updates from this team as we prepare for Back to School. In order to determine details for transportation, food service, staffing, and our learning environments, we again seek your input regarding preferences for your student/s in several areas. Additionally, please feel free to contact us at any time with questions or concerns as we work together to provide the very best learning environment for our students and staff for the 2020-2021 school year. We appreciate your continued patience and support, and please understand that there may continue to be changes based on state requirements prior to the start of school. Please respond to the survey questions based on the following information:
- SFISD approved calendar is posted on the website with a school start date of Aug. 13, 2020; however, school hours will be amended to add 10 minutes to each school day.
- SFISD will offer both in-class instruction and virtual learning options for students and staff. You are not being asked at this time to commit to one of these models, only indicate an initial preference. We will send more detailed information prior to requesting a final commitment (in-class or virtual) for the start of school.
- Virtual Learning will require specific time requirements as well as daily participation and attendance requirements, and will include continuous instruction from district and school personnel. This option must be selected for a complete grading period term.
- In-class learning will occur with school and classroom safety protocols and guidelines that are currently being finalized, and will follow state and local agency requirements and recommendations These will be communicated prior to the start of school.
- The District will continue to follow strict guidelines for disinfecting all facilities, buses, cafeterias, playgrounds, etc.
- Health screenings and procedures will be in place for staff and students, and training will be provided for staff to support students and parents returning to school.
- The district has established (and will continue to refine) standard response protocols for staff and students to ensure consistency in application of health protocols and responses to illness.
- Social distancing and safety measures will be implemented as appropriate, and also include transportation/ bus services as well as school drop off and pick up procedures for students and staff.
- Safety protocols for students and staff with breakfast and lunch service will be in place, and meals will be provided to students who qualify and select virtual learning.
A final comprehensive plan – SFISD Connecting the Future 2020 - is expected to be completed and shared soon, to include specific information regarding procedures the district and each school will implement to maintain a safe, healthy and supportive learning environment for every SFISD student and staff member.
Please access the link in a parent letter that was sent to all SFISD parents today through Family Access asking for your participation in a brief preliminary back to school survey. We value your input and feedback and look forward to welcoming our students and staff back to our schools very soon!
Dr. Leigh Wall,
Superintendent of Schools