April 17, 2017
The Board recognizes students and staff each month at the regularly scheduled board meeting. The following were recognized at the April meeting.
Kubacak Elementary recognized their TRIBE Students of the Year for 2016-2017: 3rd grade students: Chaney Hagewood; Cheyenne Mascorro; Devon Scheck; Sadie Childs; Elyssa Sanchez; Lauren Stovich; Tyler Atkins and Manuel Juarez – 4th grade students: Harley Bickerstaff; Kelsey Istre; Natalia Garcia; Kyleigh Payne; Collin Chastain; Jonathan Fraire; Ronnie Rouse; Hayven Martinez; Haley Withers and Kyle Romero – 5th grade students: Fiona Feldpausch; Mason Myers; Myriah Perez; Ciara Castanie and Mackenzie Schuck.
Jr. High recognized their cheerleaders who competed at Cheer America Regionals at NRG and received 1st place! They also received 1st place Spring National Champion in the Jr. High Small Novice Division and a bid to the One Finals at Cheer America National at the Galveston Convention Center. Sydney Allen; Angela Bickerstaff; Aubrea Burnam; Shelby Haaga; Avery Hansen; Madison Jeans; Isabelle Laymance; Clair McGuire; Trinity Wilson; Haylee Wolfe; Lauren Worley and Hailey Yeates. Alternate Kaydence Compean stepped in for Trinity Wilson at Nationals. Their Coach is Lindsey Plite.
Jr. High also recognized Mary Key with a plaque honoring her for over 16 years of service as President of the Jr. High Athletic Booster Club. She has and continues to devote herself to the athletes and coaches at Santa Fe Jr. High and the district!
H.S. recognized several groups:
- UIL academic recipients: Peter Luong, 2nd place District in calculator applications and Region Advancer, 6th place District in Number Sense; Pablo Esparza, 5th place District in Current Issues and Events; Gabby Paddie and Azia Miranda, District One Act Play All Star Cast; Angel Martinez and Toby Odom, District One Act Play Honorable Mention All Star Cast; Jase O’Brien, District One Act Play Honorable Mention All Star Crew.
- Santa Fe FFA Results: Gracie Snipe, 2nd in her class and will make the sale; Shelby Frudensprung, 7th in her Swine class and will make the sale; Sarah Emerson, 2nd in her class; SF FFA Livestock Judging Team received a participation award.
- Moody’s Mega Math Challenge students Stephanie Reed, Corrigan Garcia, Peter Luong and Abby Martinez participated along with many other juniors and seniors nationwide. They worked collaboratively to solve a problem for the National Park System by building mathematical models to address and make predictions about tides and sea level, climate vulnerability and visitor statistics. Their paper was selected as one of the top 200 papers from 1,121 submitted. Their paper was judged by 12 professional applied mathematicians and finished in the top 18% of the papers submitted.
- Bowling Teams, Girls Regional team finished 3rd in District and 6th in Region: Bailey Rose, Allie Baccinelli, Gracie Hamilton, Haley Gibson, Lauren Arcidiacono and Sarah Zaro. Boys State Team finished 1st in District, 5th in Region and 2nd in State: Drew Murff, Andrew Wardrup, Ashton Wardrup, Chet Rich, Coby Cruz and Santos Cruz. All-District Results were: Ashton Wardrup 1st Team; Andrew Wardrup 1st Team; Drew Murff 1st Team; Bailey Rose 2nd Team and Allie Baccinelli 2nd Team. Coach Judi Wardrup was named Boys All-District Coach.
- H.S. Boys Basketball Team recognized several players for their hard work and dedication during the 2016-2017 season: Kirk Smith received the Beau Fife Spirit Award; Tyson Wall received Most Improved Player, Most Valuable Player and All-District Honorable Mention; Cisco Silva received Defensive Player of the Year and Landon McLendon received Offensive Player of the Year.
SFISD Business Department recognized Cherie Bowers and her Nutrition Team who earned the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Best of the Bunch Award. This honor recognizes outstanding participation in the 2016 Local Products Challenge.
SFISD and HR Department recognized our district librarians in honor of National Library Week. Ann Eckermann at RJW; Dede McLaughlin at Kubacak; Susan Bunde at SFJH and Danna Kubacak at the H.S. They were presented with a clock as a small token of appreciation for all they do for the students, staff and community of Santa Fe ISD.
SFISD recognized our fourth recipient of the Stand Up for Public Education honor. HEB on the local level has donated paper bags for book covers, books to our libraries and has sponsored refreshments for staff and student events. At the corporate level, HEB manages several programs to support statewide public education. In the last six years, over $28.000 has been donated from their Tournament of Champions Charitable Trust. This has funded laptops, books, e-books and science equipment on our Jr. High and High School campuses. They grant awards to teachers, principals, school districts, school board leaders and early childhood programs. Santa Fe’s HEB manager, William Kenck accepted the award.
Employees of the Month –for April are: Charlene Courtney, RJW; Cathy Curran, Kubacak; Marlo Bear, Jr. High; Robert Perkins, H.S.; William Smothers, Transportation; Sam Herrera, Maintenance; Catalina Esparza, Custodian; Christi Rehm, Child Nutrition; Randie Martindale, Admin.
- Monthly Reports
- CFO Mrs. Townsend updated the Board on the current status of the purchase of land on G1/2 and 1764 for the new elementary school.
- Approved made a motion as required by Texas Education Code 12A.005(b), the Board of Trustees approve the District of Innovation Plan as presented by the DOI Plan Committee and approved by DEIC, giving Santa Fe ISD the designation of District of Innovation, effective today, and to be in effect for up to 5 years.
- Approved the 2017-2018 Santa Fe ISD calendar as submitted by DEIC.
- Approved the purchase of 11 laptop carts.
- Approved proclamation for May 5, 2017 as School Lunch Hero Day in Santa Fe ISD.
- Approved to resolve the week of May 6-12, 2017, as Nurse Appreciation Week in Santa Fe ISD.
- Approved to proclaim May 8-12, 2017 as Teacher Appreciation Week in Santa Fe ISD.
- Approved to proclaim May 11-17, 2017 as National Police Week in Santa Fe ISD.
- Approved to proclaim May 10, 2017 as Paraprofessional Day in Santa Fe ISD.
- Approved participation in a New Fuel Pool Agreement with TASB Energy Cooperative from May 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
- Approved the one year renewal from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 of the RediMD Health Services for all district employees.
- Approved the purchase of 4 HVAC units for the Jr. High School from Lennox.
- Approved the agreement to lease a portable building for R.J. Wollam.
- Approved the contract with C.L. Davis & Co., for topographical and boundary survey services at the property on G1/2 and FM1764.
- Approved the contract with Terracon to provide an environmental site assessment and geotechnical investigation on the contracted property.
- Approved replacement of the wired infrastructure, the reimbursable E-Rate portion.
- Approved the donation from Texas Department of Criminal Justice for 60 desktop computers and monitors and 50 laptop computers to be used as part of the district’s computer refresh and upgrades.