**Referral window for GT Testing is open until October 31, 2019**
We believe that GT students are a special population with differing academic and affective needs. We believe that the needs of GT students are best met through the collaborative efforts of students, community members, parents, and appropriately trained educators. We believe that GT students should be provided a differentiated curriculum, which will be accelerated, challenging, and relevant. We believe that GT students have the potential to become our future leaders and contribute to the success of our society.
A gifted/talented student is a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment and who
- exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area;
- possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or
- excels in a specific academic field. (Texas Education Code 29.121)
Students identified as gifted in SFISD will:
- develop and use critical and creative thinking skills to produce a variety of advanced level products.
- will conduct advanced levels of research, communicating the results in appropriate modes of expression.
- develop a variety of problem solving skills resulting in creative, appropriate solutions.
- develop their potential through enrichment and acceleration.
- acquire learning skills needed to become self-directed lifelong learners.
- develop healthy self-concepts and skills of interaction, including skills of leadership.